The regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 544 was held in the Otter Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School. Chair Melanie Cole called the meeting to order at 7:15 am. The following members were present: Kirby Anderson, Melanie Cole, Missy (Melissa) Hermes, Natalie Knutson, Matthew Lemke, and Stephen Vigesaa. Jeff Drake, Superintendent, Renae Macheledt, Finance Director, and Elaine Jahnke, HR Director, were also present.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
Missy Hermes, clerk, established a quorum.
Kirby Anderson made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. The motion was seconded by Missy Hermes and carried unanimously.
No acknowledgements were presented.
Reports were presented by:
- Kirby Anderson – 544 Education Foundation, Finance, Activities
- Melanie Cole – Spec Ed Coop, Region I
- Missy Hermes – Staff Development, Policy
- Natalie Knutson - Wellness, Buildings & Grounds
- Matthew Lemke – LCSC Board, MSHSL
- Stephen Vigesaa – Curriculum Review
- Jeff Drake – Superintendent
General Consent Items
The following consent agenda was presented for approval:
- Minutes from the July 18, 2022 regular School Board meeting
- Bills and Treasurer’s Report - reviewed by Missy Hermes and Kirby Anderson prior to the start of the School Board meeting:
Trust & Agency
- Kristie Sullivan, curriculum director/assistant principal; effective 7/20/2022
- Amelia Lemar, curriculum director; effective 8/11/2022
Certified Staff Leave of Absence Request:
- Alexandra (Allee) Nickolason, REACH teacher - 1 year leave of absence request (2022-23 school year)
Certified Staff Hires:
- Joel Heikes, overload contract - Auto III (.1667 FTE); effective 2022-23 school year
- Rebecca (Becca) Krueger, REACH teacher (Long-term Substitute) @ KSS; effective 2022-23 school year
Support Staff Resignations:
- Anne Taylor, piano accompanist; effective 7/8/2022
- Amy Duenow, special education paraprofessional; effective 7/18/2022
- Lori Veitenheimer, special education paraprofessional; effective 7/29/2022
- Karrie Carlson, special education paraprofessional; effective 8/3/2022
- Darcy Landberg, special education paraprofessional; effective 8/4/2022
Support Staff Hires:
- Jessica Aschnewitz, food service job change to #702/Cook/Server/KSS; effective 2022-23 school year
- Katrina (Kat) Schumacher, food service job change to #707/Main Server/KSS; effective 2022-23 school year
- Linda Dudgeon, food service job change to #710/Computer/Food Prep/KSS; effective 2022-23 school year
- Arriana Velasco, activities/co-curricular secretary @ KSS; effective 7/25/2022
- Cathy Swanson, student support aide (part-time) @ Adams; effective 9/1/2022
- Amy Schulz, Title 1 paraprofessional @ McKinley; effective 8/31/2022
- Kristin Monshaugen, Title 1 paraprofessional @ Adams; effective 8/31/2022
- Darcy Landberg, Title 1 paraprofessional @ Cleveland; effective 8/31/2022
- Carrie Anderson, asst. server/cleaner @ KSS (3 hrs/day); effective 8/31/2022
Support Staff Contract Change:
- Grade change: Roosevelt Education Center food service position (Job description #716-Main Server) to Grade 2
2022-24 Individual Contracts:
- HR/Payroll Specialist
- Health/Safety Coordinator
- Shane Thielke, Head Baseball Coach, effective 2022-23 school year
- Devonie Smith, Head Softball Coach; effective 2022-23 school year
Matthew Lemke moved to approve the consent agenda. The motion was seconded by Kirby Anderson and carried unanimously.
Old Business: None
- Natalie Knutson moved to approve the FY23 Fergus Falls Public School’s Meal Rates as follows:
- Student Regular Breakfast K: Free
- Student Regular Breakfast 1-4: $1.60
- Student Regular Breakfast 5-12: $1.85
- Student Reduced Breakfast: $0
- Adult Breakfast: $2.65
- Student Regular Lunch K-4: $2.90
- Student Regular Lunch 5-12: $3.10
- Adult Lunch: $4.95
- A la carte entrée: $2.75
- Milk Only: 40¢
The motion was seconded by Stephen Vigesaa and carried unanimously.
- Matthew Lemke moved to approve the Post Secondary Administration Agreement for the 2022-2023 school year with Minnesota State Community & Technical College (M State) for PSEO services. The motion was seconded by Kirby Anderson and carried unanimously.
- Stephen Vigesaa moved to approve the Equipment Purchase Agreement between Fergus Falls Public Schools - ISD #544 and the City of Fergus Falls for the Roosevelt Chiller System. The motion was seconded by Matthew Lemke and carried unanimously.
- Kirby Anderson moved to approve the agreement between the Fergus Falls Public Schools ISD #544 and CMTA for retro commissioning and building optimization services to Lincoln School - subject to minor changes to contract language. The motion was seconded by Missy Hermes and carried unanimously.
- Matthew Lemke moved to approve the FY24 LTFM (Long-term Facilities Maintenance) 10-Year Plan. The motion was seconded by Kirby Anderson and carried unanimously.
- Missy Hermes moved to approve the Service Agreement between Fergus Falls Public Schools - ISD #544 and Otter Tail County for the Transportation of Children & Youth in Foster Placement. The motion was seconded by Stephen Vigesaa and carried unanimously.
The next regular School Board meeting will be held at 7:15 am Monday, August 22, 2022 in the Otter Community Room at the Kennedy Secondary School.
Kirby Anderson made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:50 am. The motion was seconded by Natalie Knutson and carried unanimously.
A work session followed the regular board meeting.
Melissa Hermes, Clerk